Current:Home > 新闻中心Robert Brown|Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno -Lighthouse Finance Hub
Robert Brown|Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 18:52:51
NEW YORK (AP) — New York City emergency management officials have Robert Brownapologized for a hard-to-understand flood warning issued in Spanish by drones flying overhead in some neighborhoods.
City officials had touted the high-tech message-delivery devices ahead of expected flash flooding Tuesday. But when video of a drone delivering the warning in English and Spanish was shared widely on social media, users quickly mocked the pronunciation of the Spanish version delivered to a city where roughly a quarter of all residents speak the language at home.
“How is THAT the Spanish version? It’s almost incomprehensible,” one user posted on X. “Any Spanish speaking NYer would do better.”
“The city couldn’t find a single person who spoke Spanish to deliver this alert?” another incredulous X user wrote.
“It’s unfortunate because it sounds like a literal google translation,” added another.
Zach Iscol, the city’s emergency management commissioner, acknowledged on X that the muddled translation “shouldn’t have happened” and promised that officials were working to “make sure it doesn’t happen again.”
In a follow-up post, he provided the full text of the message as written in Spanish and explained that the problem was in the recording of the message, not the translation itself.
Iscol’s agency has said the message was computer generated and went out in historically flood-prone areas in four of the city’s five boroughs: Queens, the Bronx, Brooklyn and Staten Island.
Flash floods have been deadly for New Yorkers living in basement apartments, which can quickly fill up in a deluge. Eleven people drowned in such homes in 2021 as the remnants of Hurricane Ida drenched the city.
In follow-up emails Wednesday, the agency noted that the drone messaging effort was a first-of-its-kind pilot for the city and was “developed and approved following our standard protocols, just like all our public communications.” It declined to say what changes would be made going forward.
In an interview with The New York Times, Iscol credited Mayor Eric Adams with the initial idea.
“You know, we live in a bubble, and we have to meet people where they are in notifications so they can be prepared,” the Democrat said at a press briefing Tuesday.
Adams, whose office didn’t immediately comment Wednesday, is a self-described “tech geek” whose administration has embraced a range of curious-to-questionable technological gimmicks.
His office raised eyebrows last year when it started using artificial intelligence to make robocalls that contorted the mayor’s own voice into several languages he doesn’t actually speak, including Mandarin and Yiddish.
The administration has also tapped drone technology to monitor large gatherings and search for sharks on beaches.
The city’s police department, meanwhile, briefly toyed with using a robot to patrol the Times Square subway station.
Last month, it unveiled new AI-powered scanners to help keep guns out of the nation’s busiest subway system. That pilot effort, though, is already being met with skepticism from riders and the threat of a lawsuit from civil liberties advocates.
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (226)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Pope Francis calls for Olympic truce for countries at war
- Man convicted of kidnapping Michigan store manager to steal guns gets 15 years in prison
- Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively Reveal Name of Baby No. 4
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Kamala Harris is preparing to lead Democrats in 2024. There are lessons from her 2020 bid
- Beyoncé's mom, Tina Knowles, endorses VP Kamala Harris for president
- The Simpsons writer comments on Kamala Harris predictions: I'm proud
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Man convicted of kidnapping Michigan store manager to steal guns gets 15 years in prison
Ranking
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Man convicted of kidnapping Michigan store manager to steal guns gets 15 years in prison
- Children of Gaza
- Eminem brings Taylor Swift’s historic reign at No. 1 to an end, Stevie Wonder’s record stays intact
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Bangladesh's top court scales back government jobs quota after deadly unrest
- Google reneges on plan to remove third-party cookies in Chrome
- Man convicted of kidnapping Michigan store manager to steal guns gets 15 years in prison
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Plane crash kills two near EAA Airventure Oshkosh 2024 on first day
LeBron James named Team USA's male flagbearer for Paris Olympics opening ceremony
Paris Olympics: LeBron James to Serve as Flagbearer for Team USA at Opening Ceremony
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Conservatives use shooting at Trump rally to attack DEI efforts at Secret Service
Psst! Banana Republic’s Summer Sale Is Full of Cute Workwear up to 60% Off, Plus 20% off Select Styles
Attorneys for state of Utah ask parole board to keep death sentence for man convicted in 1998 murder